Week 4 of the #DashworthyYogaChallenge is triangle pose.
Triangle pose can be tricky. Until recently, I thought I was doing triangle pose correctly. Now I realize with just a bit of adjustment how much stronger my triangle feels and hope I can help you to find the same strength in the posture.
Part of our Yoga Alliance teacher training certification is taking five yoga classes a week. While I’ve taken classes and practiced at home prior to the training – this consistency has taken my practice to a whole different level.
I’ve seen a lot of different teaching styles and have really tuned into different cues in poses, since I will soon be giving them myself. 🙂 That’s when I noticed I wasn’t quite doing triangle right.
I did an interesting class in La Jolla at Prana Yoga Centerin La Jolla where we used special straps that hooked into a yoga wall. For triangle, we looped the strap around our waist, pulled our hips back toward the wall and extended our arms and hinged from the strap. It made me realize that I’m not usually pulling my hips that far back in the pose and it made a huge difference in the way my body felt.
The trick in triangle is to first tilt your hips in a flat line backward, then to reach your straight arms forward before you tilt down. I hope my instructions are clear for you to complete this week’s #DashworthyYogaChallenge pose!
#DashworthyYogaChallenge Week 4: Triangle Pose – Trikonasana
This week’s yoga challenge pose is extended triangle. This simple standing posture can be so powerful when executed correctly. I can’t wait to see your trikonasana and have been blown away by all of the beautiful poses so far!
How-to Do Triangle Pose:
Sanskrit Name: Trikonasana
- From Warrior II, bring your feet in slightly closer together (about 3 ½ feet apart).
- Start with your right foot forward in this pose. Turn it out to 90 degrees so it faces the front of the room. Spin the back left foot flat in line with the back of the mat. The front right heel should be in the line with the middle arch of your back left foot.
- Square shoulders and hips to the side of the room.
- Extend arms out to shoulder height, shoulder blades wide, palms down.
- This is important: Shift your hips back toward your left foot, grounding strong in the outside edge of your back foot. Once you’ve gone as far back as possible in your hips, reach your arms forward in the opposite direction, being careful not to move your hips. Keep pelvis tilted to neutral.
- Set your right hand down on the shin, ankle or floor. Extend your left hand high to the sky. Gaze at your fingertips.
- Stack your shoulders and press them away from the ears. Maintain a straight spine.
- Repeat on the left side.
- Therapeutic for anxiety, flat feet, infertility, neck pain, sciatica and osteoporosis.
- Stretches hips, groins, hamstrings, calves, chest and spine.
Shorten stance if needed. Place the hand on your thigh or a block if the shin can’t be reached. Adjust gaze where comfortable.
Triangle Pose – Trikonasana Video Tutorial:
How-to Enter the #DashworthyYogaChallenge for the Chance to Win!
For full challenge details, visit Dashworthy.com/Challenge.
The winner will be announced Sunday when the next week’s challenge is posted. Best of luck, yogis!
About this Week’s Sponsor: LVR Fashion LA
Organic, soft, and incredibly comfortable, LVR is designed and handmade in Los Angeles, California for you to live in blissfully every day.
LVR was founded in 2010 by Eric Clarke, an entrepreneur with a passion for animal rescue, who had the vision of creating high quality, affordable, earth-friendly products that would benefit the community – both locally and globally.
LVR gives back by partnering with a wildlife rescue center in Guatemala called ARCAS, by donating a portion of revenues quarterly to help aid in the rescue, rehabilitation, and release of wild animals. In addition, LVR makes monthly donations of clothing to the Downtown Women’s Center in Los Angeles, whose mission is to create a safe space for women in need.
I love how soft the fabric is on both of these pieces! The tie-dye prints are so fun and they feature colors for just about any preference. Each original design features buttery-soft organic cotton blends, colorful yet low-impact dyes, vintage washes, and is produced at the highest quality.
I hope you love this outfit as much as I do!
Announcing the #DashworthyYogaChallenge Week 3 Winner: Talia J.
Congratulations Talia for winning week three of the #DashworthyYogaChallenge. Thank you for sharing your warrior II and inspiring all of us!
Thanks again for everyone who has participated in the #DashworthyYogaChallenge so far. We’ve had over 500 beautiful yogis step into their practice in the last few weeks. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the challenge has in store!
Don’t forget to enter your email to get weekly challenge updates sent right to your inbox: