Week six of the #DashworthyYogaChallenge is chair pose – utkatasana. In case you’re just joining, every week I’m introducing a different yoga posture.
Share your version of the pose by Saturday, April 16 for the chance to win this beautiful yoga outfit by Cozy Orange.
Yoga Teacher Training Update
Last week in yoga teacher training we brushed the surface of anatomy. This was very new to me, so learning more about the body and how it relates to yoga asana was very interesting to me.
A big part of this is injury and how yoga poses can be adjusted accordingly. I hope to take this knowledge to my students in the future!
#DashworthyYogaChallenge Week 5: Chair Pose
The sixth pose of the #DashworthyYogaChallenge is side plank.
Sanskrit Name: Utkatasana
Utkata = fierce, powerful. Chair is also known as “fierce” pose.
Chair Pose Instructions
- Start in tadasana (mountain pose). Inhale and raise your arms perpendicular to the floor, palms face inward.
- Exhale and bend your knees, sinking deep back into your heels. The knees will project slightly over the feet.
- Lean the torso forward, forming a right angle with the tops of the thighs.
- Draw your shoulders away from your ears, pressing the blades against your back.
- Tuck your tailbone down toward the floor, lengthening the lower back.
- To come out of chair pose, straighten your knees on an inhale, lifting the arms once more. Exhale and release arms to your sides in tadasana.
- Strengthens the spine, thighs, calves and ankles.
- Reduces flat feet.
- Stretches shoulders and chest.
- Stimulates abdominal organs, diaphragm and heart.
Tight shoulders? Extend your arms forward instead, parallel to each other and the floor.
Chair Pose – Utkatasana Video Tutorial:
How-to Enter the #DashworthyYogaChallenge for the Chance to Win!
For full challenge details, visit Dashworthy.com/Challenge.
The winner will be announced Sunday, April 17 when the next week’s challenge is posted. Best of luck, yogis!
About this Week’s Sponsor: Cozy Orange
The Cozy Orange mantra: To create a beautiful collection of eco-activewear that redefines the everyday uniform of today’s busy woman, providing fashion-forward looks that inspire beauty, confidence and a healthy and active lifestyle.
The Cozy Orange mission: Cozy Orange takes pride in staying true to its mission to Live Balanced, Live Eco, and Live Cozy. Each season remains focused on creating unique styles that are comfort driven, figure flattering, and price savvy.
Announcing the #DashworthyYogaChallenge Week 5 Winner: Nicole K.
Congratulations Nicole! You’re the lucky winner for week five of the #DashworthyYogaChallenge and the beautiful outfit from Greater Than Sports.
Thanks to everyone who shared their strong plank poses last week! I can’t wait to see your chair pose this week.