Week seven of the #DashworthyYogaChallenge is lizard pose – utthan pristhasana. We’re working toward the final pose of the challenge. Any guesses to what it will be?
This pose can be done on the palms or the forearms for a deeper hip stretch. Share your version of the pose by Saturday, April 23 for the chance to win this beautiful yoga outfit! This week the top is from Balini Sports and the booty-poppin’ bottoms are by Inyo.
Yoga Teacher Training Update
Oh boy am I sore this week! We’re going through the peak portion of our Vinyasa yoga flow now. Yesterday I practiced yoga for 5+ straight hours (off and on). It was so much fun and took a lot out of me! Let me tell you, I’m definitely feeling it today. 😉
#DashworthyYogaChallenge Week 7: Lizard Pose
The seventh pose of the #DashworthyYogaChallenge is lizard pose. Lizard pose is a great stretch for the hip flexors, the hamstrings, and the quadriceps.
Sanskrit Name: Utthan Pristhasana
Lizard Pose Instructions
- Start in ado mukha svanasana (downward facing dog). Inhale and lift your right leg to the sky. On the exhale, step your right foot forward to the outside (pinky finger) edge of your right hand. Both arms should be on the inside of your right leg.
- Lower your left leg to the ground, releasing the top of your left foot. Ensure the right knee isn’t moving past the right ankle. Your right knee should be in a nice 90 degree angle.
- Sink your weight down into your hips, finding your edge. If you’re comfortable, lower down onto both forearms. Keep the chest open and chin lifted.
- To take the pose one step deeper, curl your back toes under and come up high on the ball of your back foot. Engage your left quad and press back through your left heel while continuing to reach the chest forward.
- Settle into this pose for 5-10 breaths. To release, plant your palms and step your right foot back for downward-facing dog, resting for a few breaths before repeating on the other side.
- Stretches the hip flexors, hamstrings and quadriceps.
- Improves the flexibility of your hip ligaments.
- Strengthen your leg muscles.
- Don’t worry if the forearms can’t come down to the mat quite yet. Work on softening into the hips and consider adding a block below the elbows as you begin to find openness in your hips.
- It’s common to drop the head and collapse through the chest in lizard pose. Keep the head and neck aligned with the spine by lifting the chin slightly and sending your drishti (gaze) forward.
Lizard Pose Video Tutorial
How-to Enter the #DashworthyYogaChallenge for the Chance to Win!
For full challenge details, visit Dashworthy.com/Challenge.
- Share a photo or video of lizard pose in social media using #DashworthyYogaChallenge by Saturday, April 23 by 5 p.m. PST.
- Follow and tag @Dashworthy and this week’s yoga outfit sponsors @inyowear and @balinisports.
The winner will be announced Sunday, April 24 when the next week’s challenge is posted. Best of luck, yogis!
About this Week’s Sponsors: InYo Yogawear & Balini Sports
These incredibly fun, comfortable and booty-licious yoga pants are brought to you by InYo – Yogawear for an in-yo’ face booty! These pants are seriously so fun. Kind of like you would find in a scrunchy Brazilian bikini (my favorite kind), these yoga pants actually have butt ruching for a killer booty off the beach and in the yoga studio!
They feature an extra wide band and long legs, for full coverage from toes to your belly! These pants have been designed to move and work with you. Plus, how fun is this brightly colored print?
The super soft and comfortable sports bra is brought to you by Balini Sports. I love how there is just a splash of yellow mesh in the front to play off the fun, bright colors of the yoga pants. There’s a fun crisscross design on the back offers amazing support that takes the pressure off your shoulders and showcases your sexy back muscles.
It’s amazing breathable and moisture-wicking as well!
Announcing the #DashworthyYogaChallenge Week 6 Winner: Mina
Congratulations Mina! You’re the lucky winner for week six of the #DashworthyYogaChallenge and the beautiful outfit from Cozy Orange
A HUGE, loving hug to everyone that has shared their practice with us so far throughout the challenge. It has been a beautiful six weeks and I hope to see your challenge posts weekly until May 15!