Craving something sweet in the morning that will leave you feeling full and satisfied until lunchtime? Pass up the sugary breakfast pastries for this satisfying oatmeal, packed with super seed goodness from the chia and hemp seeds, fresh fruit nutrients and healthy fat from the raw nuts.
Spotlight on Healthy Ingredients
- Hemp seeds: Two tablespoons contains 6 grams of fat, 2 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein. They also contain all essential amino acids—something uncommon with plant protein sources—which is great if you’re on a vegetarian or vegan diet!
- Chia seeds: Two tablespoons contains 10 grams of fiber, which is double the fiber intake of the average American. Chia seeds also contain anti-inflammatory omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) fat.
Everything-but-the-Kitchen-Sink Loaded Oatmeal Recipe
- 1/4 cup dry organic steel-cut oats
- 2 tbs chia seeds
- 2 tbs hemp hearts
- 2 tbs nut butter of choice (I like Justin’s vanilla almond butter)
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup milk of choice (dairy/almond/coconut – homemade nut milk is best!)
- Dash of cinnamon
- Optional toppings: fresh fruit (e.g. blueberries, blackberries, sliced bananas), chopped walnuts, raw honey
Directions: Mix oatmeal, chia seeds, hemp hearts, cinnamon, nut butter and milk together in a medium-sized pot. Heat on high for 2-3 minutes (until milk is absorbed and desired consistency is achieved). Stir well. Add desired toppings and enjoy!